Thursday, October 13, 2011

How to Make Money Getting Free Stuff on Craigslist and Re-purposing


From an old television to construction materials, the Free section of Craigslist is a great resource and is watched my many "scrappers." Surprisingly, it can be labor intensive to be the first one to contact and pick up some of these free things. Unless you don't have a job, it's difficult to always be available as many people giving these things away for free don't like to be inconvenienced and will give it to the first person that shows up or leave it on the curb.

With that said, I have scored many great items for free on Craigslist like a fertilizer spreader, a ceiling fan, TONS of free lumber, 2 rooms worth of brand new carpet, and much more!

I've been using some of these free items and still have much of the lumber and carpet. One thing I did is I made 6 Cat Trees with the lumber and carpet. My wife and I have 3 cats, and I had made a cat condo for them a couple years ago. I decided I would make 1 and try to sell it, on Craigslist even! I did it, I perfected my original design and sold it on Craigslist for $50 using all free materials with the exception of some hardware. I posted a picture of it and a tutorial how you can make your own cat tree for $50 on my blog: how-to-make-a-cat-tree.blogspot.com Then I made a second cat tree and sold it for $65, then I sold 4 more around $50-$100 and totaled over $400 in total income from my free carpet and lumber on craigslist.

This is an example on the small scale, but you could do this with anything. For instance, there are a lot of people getting rid of windows on craigslist that someone could use to make greenhouses, or art. The possibilities are endless, you too can turn someone else's trash into your treasure on Craigslist!

No comments:

Post a Comment